Packing up your life and moving can be both exciting and stressful. From hiring a locksmith for changing locks to emptying out the attic, the tasks may seem endless. Following these packing and moving tips from Unlock Indy LLC can help make things go more smoothly so that you can focus on the positives, rather than feel overwhelmed.
Packing and Moving Tips
- Hire movers or rent a moving van, and enlist your friends and family to help you out.
- Start by purging. Get rid of all the stuff you no longer need that simply takes up space for nothing. Sell it, donate it, recycle it.
- Contact your bank, credit card company, payroll office, the IRS, Great Aunt Sally, and anyone else who still sends you snail mail, and give them your new address. You can also have postal service redirected if you think it’s necessary.
- Arrange to have the utilities connected at your new place and cancelled at the old house. You may have to take readings for billing, so check with the utility companies.
- Schedule to have a locksmith come change all of the locks or rekey locks on your new home. You don’t know how many spare keys were handed out to friends, neighbors, and relatives by the previous owners or tenants, so you’ll want this done as soon as possible.
- Stock up on packing boxes, tape, markers and tissue paper.
- Make the packing/unpacking process easy by keeping like items together and by labeling all of your boxes based on the room they will be placed in. The pros also suggest that you have an overnight bag or a couple of well-marked boxes that contain essential items that you will need in the first couple of days.
- Arrange for children and pets to spend the day with a family friend or relative on moving day. You have enough to take care of without having your kids and Fluffy underfoot. Make time for them to say goodbye to the home they know, and find a way to make the first night in the new home special for them.
There is a lot to do on moving day, but being prepared and organized can help you get through it. When it comes to keeping your family safe with new locks, Unlock Indy is the reliable locksmith to call in Indianapolis, Fishers, Carmel, and Broad Ripple. Contact us at (317) 590-2842 to learn more today.
Comments are closed.